Springtime is the perfect time to get your home’s exterior in order for the warm months ahead. Here are some of our favorite ways to spruce up the outdoor space of a home to make it attractive to buyers. Maybe you’re not looking to sell, but a few weekend projects will make your home more inviting and welcoming to friends, family and neighbors. You don’t even need a green thumb to make these simple changes.
The old adage says, “You never get a second chance to make a first impression,” and it holds true for a home’s curb appeal. As we get a house flip ready for sale, we make sure that the house looks inviting to potential buyers from the moment they pull up to the property. In fact, according to a joint study by the University of Alabama and the University of Texas at Arlington, homes with strong curb appeal sell for an average of 7% more than homes with a perceived uninviting exterior.
- Add a pop of color with seasonal flowers. Hanging blooms on a porch, beautiful pots on a front porch, or a wreath at the front door will brighten up any home almost instantly and create a warm welcome at the front door.
- Add some native plants. The Tampa Bay area, where we buy homes , is abundant with native plants. By using what grows heartily in the area, you can create a low-maintenance and cost-effective landscape.
- Put in some lights. Solar options are easy to find and add interest and lumination to walkways. They easily give your home a glow.
- Create a beautiful focal point. A fountain or bench with some seasonal flowers around it can give your home a sense of luxury and retreat.
- Find “new to you” patio furniture on local listings and spruce up your front or back porch inexpensively. In Florida, we spend much of the year outdoors, so updating your patio helps you expand your living space.
- Pressure wash your home’s exterior. You can hire someone rather inexpensively, buy a pressure washer, or rent one; but a good washing of your house, driveway, windows, and sidewalks can create a fast transformation.
- Trim hedges and overgrowth and weed flower beds. While the springtime weather is pleasant, it is a good time to take a few hours to clean up overgrowth that might be hiding your home’s charm (and value).
- Add an attractive shed to the backyard or hire a junk hauler. After years of living in a house, it’s easy to collect lots of items. Sometimes, items overflow onto porches or the visible outside of a home, making it look cluttered. A shed can give an on-site storage solution and provide a designated space for items you need to access. Other items may need to be assessed before keeping however. Ask yourself if the items in your garage, on your carport, or in your outdoor areas are in good condition, getting use, and worth something to you. If items are broken or haven’t been touched in years, spring is a great season to purge. Removing clutter will not only make your home look better, but you’ll feel good too.
At Property Solutions of Tampa Bay, Inc. we understand that sometimes your home or one you have acquired can have outdoor and exterior repair and clean-up needs that might be beyond what you want to tackle to maintain the home or ready it for an agent to list. We offer solutions to people just like you to give you a fair price for your home and do the cleanup after we take the stress off your hands. For more information, reach out to our friendly staff at 727-528-4687 or contact us through our website.